Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It's Time, Ladies


...To repot your Bowiea volubilis!
Yes sir and yes ma'am, the humble "Sea Onion" raised in every land operative's home CONTINUES TO DO ITS WORK, converting THEIR LAND to OUR WATER. I waited ALMOST TOO LONG to repot mine this year and discovered a tangle of bare roots waaaaaay down in the bottom of the pot, the plant having sucked up almost all of the soil and converted it to the mysterious liquid, the very ELIXIR OF DAGON, inside the bulbs.
I have no idea, by the way, why the landscum keep adding "sea" to the name of any odd-looking plant they come across. Or even not so odd-looking. I agree that the Sea Thistle (aka Sea Holly) has a delightfully otherworldly, oceanic aspect to it, but Seakale? It looks like Spinach with a thyroid condition.
At any rate, it certainly worked out to OUR ADVANTAGE in this case; Sea Onions are now available through any reputable nursery dealing in fine succulents. Next I think I'll try a Starfish Plant. What's homier than a houseplant that smells like rotten meat, am I right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramona Gardea said...

"What's homier than a houseplant that smells like rotten meat, am I right?"

Oh how this brings a tear to my eye...and not just because there's a wicked variation of the dread onion floating around here.

I have a terminally ill houseplant sitting in a big clay pot outside my door. My bitter half keeps asking me when I'm going to throw it out. I tell him the plant is free to go when it wants to, all it has to do is pick itself up and scurry off.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

you are always right.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home